Recent Posts

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Oh dear me.

I thought it would be impossible for me to fall in love more than once a week.

But, like always, I was wrong.

Now, I want you to listen--well, I guess look, since you're on a computer--carefully. Jandy Nelson. This name, it is the name of an author that I've fallen head-over-heals for. Like, you don't even get it. This author ranks among the love I have for Maggie Stiefvater. Seriously. Do you know how much I love Maggie Stiefvater?

A LOT.

And I like this author A LOT A LOT.

Jandy Nelson. Memorize it. And when you go to the bookstore/library/various Internet sites, I expect you to buy her book. It's called The Sky Is Everywhere.

HolyfreakingMoly. If this book didn't make my life, I dunno what did. First off, the cover is georgous. Second, the title is crazily pretty. Third... oh, jeez, I don't even know what to say. It was amazing.

Lennie, the main character, is such a person that you'd want to spend your day with. She's funny and laidback and loves life and is absolutely devastated when her sister dies.

I think it's crazy that all the books I've been reading lately are so depressing. I mean death, heartbreak? WTF? But this one is completely different than the others. She's trying to deal with the guilt she has about her sister, and over possiblyalmostmaybe being happy. And I think that's cool. Especially since one of the main guilts is she's sort of hooking up with her sister's boyfriend. And she's kind of got another thing going with the new kid from France. But not in a way that makes you want to call her names. In a way where you want to collapse in the closet with her and hold her sister's clothes and tell her that it's not her fault, everything'll be all right.

Basically, I wanted to be her sister. I mean, when I'm not wanting to be her (minus the sadness), at least.

The characters are lovable in the best possible way--if I could join their family, I totally would. The plot is actually pretty original, once you get to reading. Scattered all throughout the story are poems and notes that Lennie writes on things and hides. It gives you a real feel for the sisters' relationship, and it's completely obvious how much Leenie loved Bailey (the sister). There're a few subplots that keep you interested when you aren't drooling over the boys (Have you noticed my pattern when it comes to male characters...?) and it all weaves in together to create one big beautiful story.

Did I mention the writing is absolutely fantastically lovely? It flows and waves and grins and frowns and rolls and everything that wonderful writing can do. It was seriously so pretty. Gah. This is the point where I die of jealousy of other authors' talents. If I could write half as beautifully as Ms. Nelson does, I would be a happy, happy girl. *dreamy sigh*

Ahem. Right. So go buy this book. It ranks highhighigh in my faves (possibly the fave) and I gaurentee it won't dissapoint! If it does, feel free to come back and... steal my candy. Or something.

7 comments:

GreenBeanTeenQueen said...

I loved this book too! It was amazing and beautiful and really impressed me. It sticks with you long after you read it.

Aspen said...

Going on my amazon list thank you very much! =)

Dani said...

I actually went to the bookstore and was considering buying it, but then I was sidetracked by Before I Fall. Which is a pretty amazing book, too.

But after your fan!girl squeeee review, I'm definitely going to read it. :)

-dani♥

Kelley Vitollo said...

I bought this book today and read the Jenny Han books last weekend after visiting your blog. lol.

Maggie said...

Sarah: Yay! It stuck with me too. If that wasn't already obvious by the post, I mean. *facepalm*

Aspen: It's amazing; you'll love it. Thanks for stopping by!

Dani: First off, I love your icon. Second, Before I Fall was awesome as well. Third, well, I mean, you should really read this. Yeah.

Kelley: Aw, haha, did you love the Summer books? And this one's definitely a good read. Thank you for visiting!

Kelley Vitollo said...

Yes I LOVED the summer books. I wanted to start over and read them again right away. I've spread the word about them and blogged about them too. I'm going to die waiting for the third one.

Lisa and Laura said...

I can't handle how much I love this book. I will be buying it for friends, buying a copy for myself and re-reading ASAP. It's quite possibly the most stunning book I've ever read.