Recent Posts

Friday, July 30, 2010

Paranormalcy (by Kiersten White)

About the Book:
Evie's always thought of herself as a normal teenager, despite the fact that she work for the International Paranormal Containment Agency, her ex-boyfriend is a faerie, she's falling for a shape-shifter, and she's the only person who can see through paranormals' glamours.

But Evie's about to realize that she may very well be at the center of a dark faerie prophecy promising destruction to all paranormal creatures.

So much for normal.

My Thoughts:
Everyone knows I've been very, very excited for this book. For one, how does this not sound awesome? Evie's like a freaking ninja. For two, Kiersten White (I interviewed her here!) is my best friend. (She just kind of doesn't know it yet.) (But if she did know, I'm positive she'd agree.) (In fact, she'd probably say we're like sisters.) (Ahem.)

So, I liked this book a lot, my love for Kiersten aside.

Let's talk about the characters first. I kind of adored them. All of them. Even the bad guys. They all had very distinct voices and habits, and I really felt that Ms. White did a good job on letting the reader get to know them. From Raquel's sighs, to Reth's indifference. It was all wonderfully described, and every time a character would enter, I'd be excited to find out what they wanted, and how Evie would react.

Evie, I might add, is pretty much a superhero. Except she uses Tasey (her pink, sparkly taser) (that's my kind of taser), instead of shooting out spider web stuff a la Spiderman. (Is Spiderman a super hero? He is awesome.) She's a character that, even when she's kicking butt and taking names, is very relateable. She still gets nervous and scared, and giddy over silly things, and she's packed with a ton of snark. She's kind of the ideal lead character, in my opinion, because she isn't necissarily always unstoppable. Plus, she wears pretty dresses.

Lend... -drools- I love him. When we first meet him at the beginning of the story, I liked him because he was witty and sarcastic and he didn't cooperate when people asked him questions. Everyone knows I have a bad problem with liking the bad boy. But the more we get to know him, he changes into this really sweet guy who you just want to snuggle with. But he doesn't lose the snazziness (it's a word, okay?) either. Basically he's my new boyfriend. It doesn't matter that I have 2,848,291,700,947,362 other ones.

And that's just the characters!

The settings were fun. I thought the Center for IPCA was interesting, and everyone there kind of worked as one, which was cool. You had a real sense of business there, and I thought it was nice that you got that feeling, even though Evie describes it as her home. Later on in the book, the other various places she visits feels rich and true, and really gave off the vibe you would usually get for them. I liked that.

Pacing was perfect, writing was hilarious, and events were wonderful. I was actually sort of surprised by this book. To be honest, it wasn't what I suspected. It actually was better, I think. It always felt like something was happening, that things were changing, and that the characters kept developing. There weren't any places that felt slow, if I recall. I actually was able to guess on certain aspects of the story, even if I did second guess along the way, but that is honestly the only thing I have that's slightly negative to say.

I really felt Paranormalcy, was a fun, light read that, if you're like me, you'll want to finish in one sitting. The characters are lovable and relateable, and I'm in bleeping love with this book. Did you notice? Paranormalcy comes out August 31st! Be sure to check it out.

(Oh, and because I love [my sister] Kiersten and my interview with her [she is a busy sister], I'm going to link to it again.) (You all are such good sports for putting up with me.) (I heart you.)

2 comments:

Sam said...

I loved this book. I thought it was sooo cute.
But now I don't know how I'm supposed to review it. You totally did it for me.
-gives you look-

Maggie said...

Sam: Bahaha, whatever. Your review will be twice as good. Maybe you could actually REVIEW it. I'm very bad at these.