Recent Posts

Monday, July 19, 2010

Personal Demons (by Lisa Desrochers)

About the Book:
Frannie Cavanaugh is a good Catholic girl with a bit of a wicked streak. She has spent years keeping veryone at a distance--even her closest friends--and it seems as if her senior year is going to be more of the same... until Luc Cain enrolls in her class. No one knows where he came from, but Frannie can't seem to stay away from him.

What she doesn't know is that Luc is on a mission. He's been sent from Hell itself to claim Frannie's soul. It should be easy--all he has to do is get her to sin, but Luc is tempting as they come. Frannie doesn't stand a chance. But he has to work fast, because is the infernals are after her, the celestials can't be far behind. And sure enough, it's not long before angel Gabriel shows up, willing to do anything to keep Luc from getting what he came for. It isn't long before they find themselves fighting for more than just Frannie's soul.

But if Luc fails, there will be Hell to pay... for all of them.

My Thoughts:
I've been excited for this book, ever since I happened upon the author's blog and read what it was about. So when Sarah, my librarian, showed me the cart full of books she got from ALA, and I saw it there, I did a silent yip of joy.

First off, I liked it. I liked it a lot. The story is about angels and demons, which is something I like to pounce on. Plus, the angel and demon are both guys, and both very hot (in the demon's case--literally). I thought the idea was a cool one, with both sides wanting the main character, Frannie, to be tagged by their respective teams. Once you've been tagged, it's an automatic ticket to that place. So if, say, a smokin' demon named Luc tagged you, you're going to Hell. If a drool-inducing angel named Gabe tagged you, you'll be hiking it on up to Heaven. The reason for these places to want her is... well, that'd be slightly spoiler-y.

Anyhoo, the story is told from both Frannie and Luc's perspectives. I thought reading through Luc's thoughts were fun and interesting, because he has that distinct badass quality, as well as you're kinda drawn into how he sees his task to tag Frannie, and his home down there in Hades. He's a first level demon, which gives him power, and he's born of pride, so he's very cocky and sexy. Excuse my thoughts, but it's true. He's the first one to have found Frannie after several failed attempts in the past by others.

It doesn't take long, however, for Gabe to swoop in. Gabe is there to keep Frannie from the distinctly sinful hands of Luc. He's got the charming, caring and totally lovable appeal. While his POV isn't included, it's easy to realize that his personality is just that of an angel, with a slight tinge of kick-butt. All of the characters, really, are given full personalities and quirks that disassociate them from one another.

So Frannie is just kind of the (semi)innocent bystander, who's suddenly thrown for a loop when the boys make their appearances. After dating the kinda geekish guys, she's thrilled, if not a tad weirded out, that both of these yummy boys are going for her, even after her friend tries for both of them.

Frannie's friends, I think, are both interesting characters, and really add to the book. You've got Frannie best friend, who's also her competition at practically everything. And then there's the sweet and quiet one, who's nonstop trying to keep the other two from bickering nonstop. These are really the only two girls who Frannie is in touch with, and even then she likes to say it's because they stay out of her business. Frannie is still traumatized and guilty from her brother's death, ten years earlier. But I think both girls slowly help break Frannie loose of her ties, whether she wants to believe it or not.

I'm also in love with Frannie's family! Her parents are charming and protective. She has four other sisters (one named Maggie!) who are fun whenever they're included. Really, I think all of the side characters help liven the story and make it more realistic.

I loved the constant competition between Luc and Gabe with a passion. It was so amusing! About halfway through, after thoroughly establishing the characters and the way Frannie feels about them (she's very drawn to both), is when the plot really starts kicking in. It's exciting and heart-racing and there's a twist when it comes to Luc, which is always fun. Various demons start arriving because Luc isn't getting the job done because GASP could he be falling for her? I liked whenever they came around because I knew there was going to be a little drama and some action.

The only things that I wasn't fond of, was that even when Fran decides which boy she wants, she's still willing to kiss/hug/snuggle with the other one. Which is, I might add, very heartbreaking. The last fourth of the book dragged slightly, and most of it is build up for book two, I think. There are supposed to be three books to this series, and I'm still very anxious to get to read the next one. (The only problem here, is that this one hasn't even officially come out yet. -head desk-)

However, the writing was fun, and the description of Hell was very vivid. I liked that both Heaven and Hell had a modern element to them. Frannie was snarky and relatable, and even though she's seriously indecisive, and maybe a tad whiney, it was nice reading from her POV.

Overall, Personal Demons is a fun book with a twist to the normal good-vs-evil of angels and demons. It comes out September 14th.

(Also, don't you love how much I use the word 'fun'?) (I need to work on finding better words to describe things.) (It really was fun though!)

(And because I'm totally inappropriate, I'd like to just say that Gabe, the one in the cover with wings, is seriously hot.)

11 comments:

Lisa Desrochers said...

Thanks for the lovely review, Maggie! Glad you enjoyed Personal Demons =)

Sam said...

God I want to read this book. So much.
So muchmuchmuch.
-needtoread-

Maggie said...

Lisa: Thank YOU for writing such an amazing book! I'm lucky to have gotten the chance to read it early.

Sam: You need to read it. -nods- Borrow it from Sarah next time you see her :)

Girlinbetween said...

NEED TO READ THIS BOOK...

Girlinbetween said...

NEED TO READ THIS BOOK...

Rebs @ Book-Rants said...

I can't wait to read this, going in my next order for sure

Emilia Plater said...

Love this!! I welcome hot guy gushing anytime :D Great in-depth and balanced review. Gotta preorder this thing.

Maggie said...

Girlinbetween: YES YOU DO :D

Rebs: It's really very good. I hope you'll like it!

Emilia: Yay! Thank goodness I'm not scaring EVERYONE away with my boy love. Thanks, by the way, and yes you do. :)

Lisa and Laura said...

I have this sitting on my shelf right now! As soon as we finish up edits, I'm cracking it open. Can't wait.

GreenBeanTeenQueen said...

This one does sound good! The cover you have is different than the cover on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Personal-Demons-Lisa-Desrochers/dp/0765328089/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1279742979&sr=8-2

I have to admit I think both covers are pretty awesome!

Maggie said...

Lisa and Laura: Good luck with edits! I hope you like Personal Demons.

Sarah: Oh, the covers are different. Are they both covers or is one wrong? Hmm. I got this one from Ms. Desrochers' site, though, so... -ponders- Either way, I agree, they're both great! :)