Recent Posts

Monday, July 12, 2010

Stolen (by Lucy Christopher)

About the Book:
A girl: Gemma, at the airport, on her way to a family vacation. A guy: Ty, rugged, tan, too old, oddly familiar, eyes blue as ice. She steps away. For just a second. He pays for her drink. And drugs it. He takes her, before she even knows what's happening. To sand and heat. To emptiness and isolation. To nowhere. And expects her to love him.

Written as a letter from a victim to her captor, this is Gemma's desperate story of survival. Ty has stolen her body. Against every instinct screaming inside her, will he also steal Gemma's heart?

My Thoughts:
Stolen is one of the most interesting books I've read so far this year. Between the concept of this being Gemma's story as a missing kid, and the fact that Lucy Christopher's writing is amazing and deep, I'm seriously recommending this book to everyone reading this. You might start seeing things from a new light.

Now. I don't even know where to begin.

Gemma, is a strong, passionate character. I almost expected her to be quick to please, and fall hard and fast for Ty, the thief guy (hehe, rhyme!), before I started the book. (I mean, what kind of a story would it be if there were no steamy kisses between the only two people of the book?) I was happy to learn that she did not do this. Not exactly. There was much more to it.

Ahem.

Gemma was my hero. From the very beginning, she didn't just give in to being taken. She didn't instantly kick up a friendship with Ty. At a point, she tries suicide bc she doesn't want to have a life like that. She wasn't one to forgive, or forget, which was very admirable.

Ty, I have very mixed feelings on throughout the story, until the very end. Obviously, he isn't a lovable character to start the story off. Gemma has no money for coffee, so he pays, and you're like 'Oh, maybe he's a nice captor. I might like him!' And yes, I do realize that it was a twisted thought, and I'm stupid, because BOOM DRUGS.

But wait! You don't get it!

Ty is also insanely sweet at times, as well as crazy mad, and caring, and misunderstood and conniving and I'm pretty sure he's bipolar, which isn't all that strange of an idea, hello, STOLEN.

But anyways, he's got mixed feelings from me, and Gemma has my respect, if not a little annoyance with how she thought some things through. But still, respect.

It's Gemma's letter to Ty, so she refers to Ty as 'you,' and it pulls you into the story, as well as enhances her feelings toward him. It's tricky at the beginning, but I fell into this pattern quickly and easily. Ms. Christopher has a way of writing that's almost lyrical, even when she's talking about something horrible. It amazed me to no end, I'm telling you. This book was so unique.

So Ty takes Gemma, and I hate to say this, but it's impressive how much thought he puts into it all. From when he drugs her, to when he takes her to Australia (a totally different country than where her family was originally at). He brings her to the middle of nowhere, literally. The description of the desert throughout the story, from the animals and plants, to the heat and sand and sun, was extremely detailed. You get a real feel for where Ty has taken her from the very moment they get there.

As mentioned before, Gemma is a really strong character. She spends weeks trying to escape, even though some plans were annoying because it was obvious they wouldn't work, but she doesn't give up or in. I think this was very real, that she'd do whatever she could to try and leave the little shack-house and Ty behind. From there on, you gradually fall into how Gemma becomes aquainted with the sand, when she realizes that there's no way for her to leave without Ty to take her back. And so their shaky relationship begins, and Gemma dives into why Ty took her in the first place.

You find out and start understanding things from both people, things that make you start changing opinions and blinking away tears. Or maybe that was just me. By the end of the story, when she's back home for reasons you'll have to read about, you're stuck in a limbo. And a bit of a daze, to be honest. I was happy with how the book ended. Of course this isn't a book that'll leave you cheerful, but I think everyone will appreciate the reality of the things happening, and the pureness of Gemma's choices.

Overall, this is a book I highly suggest, and hopefully if you read it, you'll come back here and chat about it with me. I'd love to hear everyone's opinions. :)

2 comments:

Emilia Plater said...

Wonderful review, Maggie! I didn't even realize this was in second person. It sounds SO interesting. Gotta check it out :)

Loraine said...

Awesome review! Here's mine if you don't mind: http://lorxiebookreviews.blogspot.com/2012/12/stolen-by-lucy-christopher.html

Thanks and have a nice day! :)