Recent Posts

Saturday, August 28, 2010

Interview: author Kirsten Hubbard!

Ooh lookit! Kirsten Hubbard is here! Well, virtually. Sorta. She's here for an interview!!

Kirsten is pretty much my hero in all things. She travels everywhere, she's an author of a book that makes me swoon, I want it so bad, and she loves animals as much as I do. Plus, she's sweet and funny and it's been a delight interviewing her. Witness her amazingness here!

-----

Describe yourself in 140 characters or less, please!

author, writer, onetime artist, proud enviro-hippie, travel addict, life-loving seeker of beauty in unexpected places, california cliche


Now on to your book, Like Mandarin. Would you mind telling us what it's about?

Like Mandarin is about 14-year-old Grace Carpenter and her unlikely, explosive friendship with 17-year-old Mandarin Ramey -- wild, dangerous, and the closest thing to true beauty in their stifling badlands town.


I know you travel, like, everywhere. Does this influence your writing? How so?

Like crazy. In fact, my second book with Delacorte will be a boisterous travel romance. But beyond the obvious, it's all about pushing myself out of my comfort zone and into different settings, confronting endlessly unique people and lifestyles, and embracing vibrant details, colors, encounters. Whatever I find fascinating, I seek to share with my readers through my novels.


If you were stranded on an island with only five books (or five things, whichever is easiest!), which five would you take?

Books would have to have ultimate reread value. So, I'd pick A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson, Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov, the complete works of The Brothers Grimm, Watership Down by Richard Adams, and.... probably Like Mandarin :)


One of the things I loved about your blog when I first found it was the baby animal posts. What's the most interesting animal you've seen to date?

Baby sloths are THE BEST. One of my life theories is that baby sloths make everything better. Heartsick? Google Image "baby sloth." Angry? Google Image "baby sloth." You will feel better, guaranteed. Hate the world? Google Image "baby sloth", and you will love the world again, just knowing creatures like baby sloths inhabit it.


What would sixteen-year-old Kirsten think if she saw you now?

Impressed, I hope. Because I make a lot of life decisions based on making her proud.


Quick! What's the first thing that comes to mind when I say (you read) these words?

-Mandarin: wind-tangled black hair
-badlands: silence
-Grace: a pocketful of rocks
-friendship: my twin, who I need to call


Anything else to add?


Thanks so much for the interview, Maggie! Great questions.

-----

Thank YOU, Kirsten!

Kirsten's book, Like Mandarin, hits shelves March 8th, 2011. Pre-order it here. And then wait eagerly with me for it to come out. And then, later, when we get it, we shall squeal.

3 comments:

Sam said...

OMG BABY SLOTHS. I never knew. How did I not know? They are so cute.
-ahem-
Very nice interview. :P Kirsten seems so cool. I want to basically be her. She is pretty and nice and smart and YAY TRAVEL!
-ahem again-

Lauren said...

Oh wow. She's so pretty. Why do authors seem to be all pretty? Am I doomed to this profession because I'm not good looking?

Kirsten's answers are really good and I like the questions you asked Maggie! Great interview!

Maggie said...

Sam: AREN'T THEY ADORABLE?

Lauren: Thanks so much, and I'm sure you're beautiful! But I do have to agree; authors are weirdly pretty people. I guess they're just so saturated with AWESOME that it leaks through in their looks too. <33