Recent Posts

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Guest Post: author Erin McCahan!

Author of the amazing I Now Pronounce You Someone Else, Erin McCahan has offered to guest post for us! HURRAY! :D I asked her about her favorite book as a teen, and what made her love it. Here she is!

-----

My Top 10 Reasons Why THE OUTSIDERS Was My Favorite Book Growing Up

 
10. S.E. Hinton wrote THE OUTSIDERS when she was fifteen years old. Fifteen!  I wrote novels at 15 that, in the words of the narrator of HOW THE GRINCH STOLE CHRISTMAS,  “stink, stank, stunk.”
 
9. It was real, human drama.  No bitchy girls, no vampires and yet still a page-turner.
 
8. I learned what foreshadowing was from it.  First, I think it was Johnny who wondered what it would be like to be inside the ember of a cigarette. Second, a gun. Whenever there’s a gun in a story, it’s foreshadowing.
 
​7.  Greasers and Socs. How cool!
 
6. No pesky parents getting in the way of anyone’s relationships or activities. Okay, yes, the Curtis boys suffered horrible loss when their parents were killed, but that happens before the action of the novel, so readers don’t have to live through that trauma.  And we know Johnny hated his parents, who beat him.  But that’s not what the book is about.  It’s about the family that you make.
 
​5.  Who doesn’t love a good rumble?
 
​4.  It was a book about boys and all of them cute.  I don’t remember their actual physical descriptions, but I decided they were all cute. And – yeah – Cherry and Marcia were around, but romance wasn’t the main story arc.
 
3. I loved how the beginning and end were linked.  I have no idea if S.E. Hinton invented this device, but I’ve seen it in many novels since, and I believe it was done to perfection in THE OUTSIDERS.
 
2.  Clearly, S.E. Hinton’s sympathies lay with the Greasers, but she still kept them real. No one was all good or all bad. Some of the Greasers were criminals. Some of the Socs were rotten, arrogant jerks.  But none of the characters was a caricature. They were all wholly believable.
 
​1. Ponyboy. Sodapop. Two-Bit. Dallas. I longed to meet boys named Ponyboy, Sodapop, Two-Bit or Dallas. All the boys in my school were named Jeremy. All of them. Jeremy or something like Jeremy. No Ponyboys. Sigh.

-----

Thanks so much, Erin!

You can buy I Now Pronounce You Someone Else here! And check out my review while you're at it. :)

0 comments: