Recent Posts

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

I Now Pronounce You Someone Else (by Erin McCahan)

About the Book:
Eighteen-year-old Bronwen Oliver has a secret: She's really Phoebe, the lost daughter of the loving Lilywhite family. That's the only way to explain her image-obsessed mother; a kind but distant stepfather; and a brother who has a small personality complex (he thinks he's Jesus). Bronwen must have been switched at birth, and she can't wait to get away from her family for good.

Then she meets Jared Sondervan. He's sweet, funny, everything she wants--and he has the family Bronwen has always wanted, too. She falls head over heels in love, and when he proposes marriage, she joyfully accepts. But is Jared truly what she needs? And if he's not, she has to ask: What would Phoebe Lilywhite do?

My Thoughts:
This book is exactly what I needed. I've been in a serious reading slump, and this one pulled me out of it. And what makes it so great, is that without having been contacted for the blog tour, I never would have read the book. My local bookstore doesn't have it! Yes, frustration.

Bronwen is your average girl, for the most part. She gossips with her friends, she hates ketchup (me too!), and she believes that she was switched at birth with a family that definitely isn't hers. I'm pretty sure every teenager has felt this way at one time or another. But she has actually imagined up a whole new identity, going as far as signing up for magazines and introducing herself as Phoebe Lilywhite. It's very amusing, to be honest.

Jared, oh man. The. Perfect. Guy. Seriously. Bronwen and Jared meet at an old coffee shop in town when he's visiting home from college. He was a friend of Bronwen's older brother, and when he greets her as Phoebe, both Bronwen and I swoon.

The book is basically about Jared and Bronwen, and Bronwen and her stepdad's relationship. Bronwen's dad died in a plane crash when she was younger, and since then her mother has been distant, her brother doesn't really pay attention, and due to an unfortunate event with her stepdad, she really just feels completely alone in the family. But when Jared comes about, he brings with him everything that Bronwen has ever wanted in a family. A sister to talk with, parents that joke and already know she doesn't like ketchup, and a man that understands everything that she is.

When she's with Jared and his family, she feels whole. So when Jared proposes, she's thrilled. It's when she sets a date closer than she had expected for wedding, that she starts realizing that maybe she needs to focus on her self and fix things with her family.

Like I said, this book pulled me out of my slump. It covers all of your emotions: you cry, laugh, seeth in anger, everything. Bronwen is such a quick witted person, and her view on things is sarcastic and cool. But she also recognizes her problems, wants to fix them, doesn't know how. She's relateable and knows what she wants. I loved her.

Bronwen and Jared's relationship is really the impeccable thing though. Nothing's fluffed up to be prettier. They're sweet, and you can practically touch the chemistry between them, but Ms. McCahan also made it real. They bicker and fight, they don't always agree, they don't always understand each other. Actually, all of the relationships in this story feel real. Even between Bronwen and her stepdad, her mother.

Basically this book was awesome. It was original and realistic, funny and sad, it has everything that I look for. And I loved the concept of a girl wanting to marry when she's young.

There were only a couple of things that I noticed. Bronwen calls her brother Jesus over and over, but he's only really in the story a few times, and I really didn't see why she would think that. Mostly he just seemed like a college guy. After Jared proposes it starts to slow down some, and when the main climax of the story occured it was a little rushed. Around this time it's just a tad unrealistic, but not overly so that it isn't believable. You're left feeling both sad and proud.

The ending is really perfect to me though, which made up for everything in my eyes. It was kind of cheesy, but in the best way everrr.

Overall, I Now Pronounce You Someone Else was a cute, fun read. I highly suggest checking it out.

2 comments:

Colene Murphy said...

Sounds good! Not something I would have ever even picked up, but now I'm really interested! Thanks!

Maggie said...

Thanks, Colene! I actually really, really liked it. It was fun and fast. I definitely recommend. :)