Recent Posts

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Faves

I recently got asked by a good friend of mine to recommend five of my favorite books and/or series, because she was low on good reading material. 

Obviously, when given this question, I have to recommend seventeen hundred, rather than five.

I don't think I've ever been a very picky reader. There are genres that I'm iffy on, and some concepts don't necissarily snag my interest sometimes, but I'm most always willing to read a book. And quite often I'll like it. That's how it is in most cases, really: I never really hate a book, I'm not easily totally swooned by one either (seriously!). I'm usually just in that area where, yeah, it was good and I liked it, but I don't have that intense urge to reread or highly suggest it to others. 

That's why when I love or hate a book, I love or hate it HARD. I'll go on about the book to everyone I know--reader or not--and carry it around all the time and reread little snippets for the heck of it; just because I love it so much. Or I'll go around grumbling and complaining about it and give it the evil eye because, dangit, why did I spend $20 on you!?

And so my friend knows this, and asked me what books I absolutely love, or think are quite worthy of suggestion. I was happy to oblige. I thought I'd share my top choices here as well, because I needed something to blog about, and you need to witness the amazing that are these books. 

I've probably mentioned these several times on here, so I apologize in advance. Also, these are in no particular order. Except the first two. Ahem.

1.) Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins
2.) The Sky Is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson
3.) Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater
4.) Graceling by Kristin Cashore
5.) The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
6.) Stolen by Lucy Christopher
7.) City of Bones by Cassandra Clare
8.) The Summer I Turned Pretty by Jenny Han
9.) Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead
10.) If I Stay by Gayle Forman
11.) Amy & Roger's Epic Detour by Morgan Matson 
12.) Sea by Heidi R. Kling
13.) Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver
14.) Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick
15.) Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta

Over on the bookshelf in the left sidebar, I also have some books that I suggest reading. I haven't updated it in a long time now, but I think there are a few more over there that I didn't mention here. Some of them were just personal though; there're a few on there that a lot of people I know hated. Oh, the joys of opinions!

Haha, what are your favorite books? If you have any that you suggest for me or my friend, name them! Are there any on my list that you like?

3 comments:

Abby Minard said...

Ha, I'm like you- I can't just pick 5. But then when I'm put on the spot, my mind goes blank, and I'm like...crap what do I like?

But I am pretty picky myself- I don't get to read much, so when I do it's almost always YA fantasy. I've read some adult fantasy that I like (actually one of my favorite series is the 12 Houses Series by Sharon Shinn, but it reads like YA to me).

Colene Murphy said...

No. I can't pick just 5!! But, I'm like Abby too. If someone asks me I get total brain-farts. Can't do it with anything - books, movies, nothing. DON'T put me on the spot!

But YOU have a great list! I love so many of those! (and need to read quite a few...)

Maggie said...

Abby: Me too! I had to ask for a day to write down some books. :P I'll have to check that series out. I haven't read any good fantasy lately.

Colene: Haha, same with me. It goes with everything. Really, I can't even remember my name half the time when I'm put on the spot. It's pretty bad. :P And thanks! I hope you get to read some of the rest soon!