Recent Posts

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

In The Storm (Karen Metcalf)

About the Book:
Abandoned by the world around her, Carly believes she is fated to a life of torment at the hands of her stepfather and is desperate for an escape. When she can bear the abuse no longer and gives in to a thunderous rage, she suddenly finds herself in an unfamiliar, yet beautiful, storm world. This limbo between dimensions appears to be her private sanctuary, but it may just be her purgatory.

 No one escapes fate without sacrifice, but is the price more than Carly is willing to pay?


My Thoughts:
I've only read a few novellas in my time, and they were all quite iffy. They weren't bad, not at all, but I never felt attached to the story or characters. And as I've mentioned before, I look for the characters, and the feelings/interactions, to make a story worth reading. And sometimes I think that's a hard thing to accomplish in short stories and novellas.  

I did not have this problem with In The Storm.

From the very beginning, I was sucked in. It was so catching. Not to mention fascinating. Being pulled into a storm and an alternative universe? How is that not awesome? Actually, maybe awesome is the wrong word to use... 

The setting was quite a big thing in the novella, and Ms. Metcalf created it so intricately; the attention to detail! It was beautifully described, and all in a simple, clean way. Which is, of course, the best way.

But that's NOTHING compared to the reasoning behind it all. How the place is made, created, who and why The Mysterious (and Cute) Boy is there. I can honestly say I haven't read anything more completely confusing. But it was the fact that I had a hard time wrapping my mind around the idea. It made me think and pay attention to understand. It was a good confusing, don't worry.

The reasoning for Carly, the main character, to be at the world in the first place is sad, and there was some hardcore crying at one point. It's all very depressing, but aren't those my favorite? Yes, yes they are. Don't be discouraged though, Normal People Who Like Happy Things, there's a fair amount of humor and happy worked in there as well.

Overall, very good. It's quick and eventful and I suggest it.

(BTW, next month I'll be giving this one away and interviewing the author, so keep your eyes out!) (That expression is so weird. And a little gross.) (Please, keep your eyes in.)

2 comments:

Aleeza said...

i theenk it's supposed to be 'keep your eyes open', right? how do you keep your eyes OUT? ew, bulging eyes, blech. blech blech blech.
anyway, so EXCITED youre bloggin' again. i missed you and your awesomeness! this book sounds very interesting...even if im not much of a fan of novellas.
i mean, it has a mysterious (and cute) boy in it. :D

Maggie said...

Aleeza: It's gross, right? I've heard it both ways, although yours sounds less disgusting. :P Thank you! I'm glad to be back. This was actually really good, and normally I'm not a huge novella reader either. I'm having a contest for the story though, so be sure to check that out!