Recent Posts

Friday, February 11, 2011

The Lost Saint (by Bree Despain)

WARNING
The inside flap of the book gives away spoilers for the first of this series, The Dark Divine. Don't read it if you haven't finished the first, please!

About the Book:
Grace Divine made the ultimate sacrifice to cure Daniel Kalbi. She was infected with the werewolf curse while trying to save him, and lost her beloved brother in the process.

Desperate to find Jude, Grace befriends Talbot, a newcomer to town. But as the two grow closer, Grace's relationship with Daniel is put in danger--in more ways than one.

Unaware of the dark path she is walking, Grace begins to give into the wolf inside of her--not realizing that an enemy has returned and a deadly trap is about to be sprung.


My Thoughts:
The description for this one annoys me, because it really does give away basically everything in The Dark Divine. *huff*

Other than that, though, I'm quite fond of this one. In fact, I might like this one slightly more than the first. Although anytime you put the main character and her love interest into compromising situations, I get a bit frustrated. Why can't everyone be happy and live in a perfect world?

Answer: Because then I wouldn't want to read the book.

I liked this one. Especially in the thought that it has more than one storyline going. You have the plot-plot, and then the sub-plot, which is always fun because you always have something to be interested in. And both plotses (hehe) do just that. And both were well paced and thought out! Hooray.

(I think I've become rusty at reviews. This is irritating me.) (I'm really a very angry person.)

The characters, which were always a big thing for me in the first book, were just the same (for the most part) and just as fun to read about. Grace is still relateable, and still battling it out on what's good and what's bad. The only thing that bugged me was the way that she would sometimes jump to conclusions, but I suppose that's just her personality. Sometimes I forget characters aren't real humans. Sigh.

Speaking of jumping to conclusions, there were a few points in the book that felt slightly predictable. And somewhere in the last 1/3-ish of the story, it's all a tad repetitive. However, I have to say that's right before the kick-butt part starts up (oh, you call that climax? how... literate... you sound), and sometimes this happens, that way you're caught up and not so confused when everything comes together. Ms. Despain does a wonderful job of wrapping up one story, while still leading up for the next. A great example of The Big Picture, I must say.

The settings were quite palpable, to me, in Saint. Maybe they were in the book before as well, but this time around they just felt very... home-y. Like, maybe the Markham Street Monster will come trash my town. Quite frightening.

I think one of the reasons I like these books so much is because they explore more than the mythology of werewolves, and more than just romance with a badass guy. They focus on right-and-wrong (though not in that annoying way that television shows do) and making your own decisions, and a ton of aspects about growing into yourself. Which sounds cheesy, but it's totally not.

Now, I'm going to take an adrupt change of topic, and mention the cover of this baby. HOW EFFING GORGEOUS IS THAT? Maybe I'm just partial, because that's my favorite color of blue, but that thing is just beautiful. I tend to like the simple covers, so I'm all over this one. *insert wanting of a book cover just as pretty*

Overall, I'd say The Lost Saint is definitely one to pick up. Funny and serious and awesome, all wrapped up in one (cerulean blue) package!

0 comments: