Recent Posts

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Guest Post: author Patricia Selbert

Hey guys, Patricia Selbert has taken some time out to guest post for us! She wrote the amazing The House of Six Doors (title leads to my review), and I hadn't known much about her before reading the book and visiting her site, so I find the way she answered my post request super interesting. Here she is, talking about her "favorite book as a teen!"

-----

What was my favorite book as a teen?

When I came to the US as a thirteen year old, I couldn’t read English and there were no books available in the languages I could read: Dutch and Spanish. I was in the seventh grade but English was impossible for me to learn without special assistance. I didn’t know it at that the time but it turned out that I was severely dyslexic. My dyslexia was interpreted as stupidity. I’ve always loved stories and felt very deprived being excluded from the world of readers. Going to school became so disheartening that I decided to leave and pursue a career training and competing horses. After a successful career with horses, I decided to make one more attempt at school by enrolling in community college. Upon enrollment, I was tested and there they discovered I was dyslexic. The community college had a program for overcoming learning disabilities where I learned strategies to overcome my dyslexia. So it wasn’t until I was twenty-nine that I finally got the resources to be able to excel in school. Those first college days were some of the happiest days of my life and I still fondly remember the first book I could read in English: I Know Why the Cage Bird Sings by Maya Angelou.

-----

Is that not awesome? It must have been super difficult (she knows 4 languages! I could barely pass Spanish...), but I think her story is great. Thanks, Patricia!

You can buy The House of Six Doors here, and be sure to check out Ms. Selbert's twitter here.

0 comments: