Recent Posts

Friday, July 22, 2011

Die For Me (by Amy Plum)

About the Book:
My life has always been blissfully, wonderfully normal. But it only took one moment to change everything.

Suddenly, my sister, Georgia, and I were orphans. We put our lives into storage and moved to Paris to live with my grandparents. And I knew my shattered heart, my shattered life, would never feel normal again. Then I met Vincent.

Mysterious, sexy, and unnervingly charming, Vincent Delacroix appeared out of nowhere and swept me off my feet. Just like that, I was in danger of losing my heart all over again. But I was ready to let it happen.

Of course, nothing is ever that easy. Because Vincent is no normal human. He has a terrifying destiny, one that puts his life at risk every day. He also has enemies... immortal, murderous enemies who are determined to destory him and all of his kind.

While I'm fighting to piece together the remnants of my life, can I risk putting my heart--as well as my life and my family's--in jeopardy for a chance at love?

My Thoughts:
I often mindlessly stalk through the interwebz looking for new authors and books to obsess over. At one point I happened upon Amy Plum, and her book. Ms. Plum lives in France, and her book is set in Paris. From that point on, I was hooked. Utter the word France, and I'll probably be your best friend.

Anyways, needless to say, I was pretty pumped to read this thing.

Die For Me is, in it's mythology, completely and interestingly original. Vincent and his family are revenants, which is like a zombie, only more awesome. They sacrifice themselves over and over for the rest of their immortal lives saving others. I for one haven't wandered across any books that have paranormal creatures such as that. There was a lot of history and depth behind it all and I found myself lost in the story just based on that alone.

Well, that and Vincent. Can we say swoon worthy? A Frenchman after my own heart. He's charming and sweet with a flare of dangerous, creating one of those book boys that you can't help but long for. His family, or kindred, are all equally attractive as well, especially the males. (I love attractive paranormal people. It's a guilty pleasure.)

I loved the way Georgia, Kate's sister, was a large part of the story. I'm usually a sucker for any family dynamics in books and I enjoyed the truthful relationship betweent the two. I wish Kate's grandparents were touched on a bit more; they seemed interesting. And I wish Kate's past was explained a little more, her parents' deaths, why moving to Paris was jarring, etc, but that isn't a big deal. The story was still lovely.

Sadly, there were a few Twilight-esque parts to the book. The family, the way to kill the bad guys, some somewhat creepy stalking. But what make this book differ from that one is this one is charming. And Kate didn't take crap from anyone. Kate, the main character, was someone relatable and I really enjoyed her point of view. She didn't insta-fall for Vincent and she used comman sense, which is always refreshing. I found myself nodding along to her thoughts, agreeing and disagreeing as she did through the events of the story.

What I loved most though, of course, was the setting. Living in France, Ms. Plum gives us the ins and outs of Paris life. She doesn't linger on the big things that everyone knows of, instead taking us to places that are known by locals. Some simple rules of the society and locals. Paris was definitely a character in and of itself.

I'd say check this one out if you have time. Even after its few faults, Die For Me is still definitely a book worth reading.

3 comments:

Amelia said...

Interesting. I've seen this one around but haven't seen anything to spark my interest. Now, though, I'll totally have to check it out at the library.

Fabulous review. :)

-Amelia

Taylor Lynn said...

It sounds really neat... good review! :D

Maggie Osborn said...

Amelia: I have a big thing about France, so that alone interested me. Die For Me had its faults, but I thought it was a charming book overall.

Taylor: Thanks! :)