Recent Posts

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Forever (by Maggie Stiefvater)

About the Book:
then. When Sam met Grace, he was a wolf and she was a girl. Eventually he found a way to become a boy, and their love moved from a curious distance to the intense closenss of shared lives.

now. That should have been the end of their story. But Grace was not meant to stay human. Now she is the wolf. And the wolves of Mercy Falls are about to be killed in one final, spectacular hunt.

forever. Sam would do anything for Grace. But can one boy and one love really change a hostile, predatory world? The past, the present, and the future are about to collide in one pure moment--a moment of death or life, farewell or forever.

My Thoughts:
Oh, how I love these books. Have I mentioned that before? That I love this series? Because I really, really do. Forever did not disappoint.

At the end of Linger, we find out that Grace has become a wolf. (I feel like I'm leaving spoils, but, I mean, it says so right up in the description so...) Forever begins about two months later. Grace has been missing and the rest of the gang is pretty messed up because of it.

For starters, I guess I had forgotten how much I love these characters. Because when I read this, I was just hit with boom, these guys are great. I think all of the characters were touched on and fleshed out even more so in this book, if that's even possible. I found myself just becoming fonder and fonder of all of them as the story went on. And I loved that. I loved that I could come to love these characters even more than I already had.

As always, Ms. Stiefvater's writing was beautiful. Descriptions, feelings, everything, came out wonderfully. The prose will always be one of my favorite part of Maggie's books. I felt like in this one, however, things were a bit grittier. Not bad, or even really noticably so while you're reading. But after I finished, I found myself thinking, Huh. There was a definitely layer of gritt on this book's feel. And that sounds mildly insane, but you're talking to me here, so I think insane thoughts are just a norm, especially when given amazing books.

The events and plot itself I thought was a natural progression and ending for the books. The wolves are being hunted because of all the deaths and disappearances. Sam is being accused of killing Grace. Grace is still a wolf. Et cetera. There were a few points where I was a little confuzzled, so I'd suggest doing a quick read through of the last few chapters of Linger, because I found I was a little rusty. (Yes, this did upset me greatly, why do you ask?) I didn't feel like the book was forced, or anything was an easy excuse to end the trilogy though, and things tied together nicely.

All of the relationships were elaborated: Sam and Grace, Grace and her parents, Cole and Isabel, so on and so forth. There were points where I was overwhelmed with bits of emotion, and the urge to mark up this book was a heavy one. I'm always torn between marking up my books and leaving them pretty and pristine. I think maybe I'll buy another copy, just to mark with love.

Forever was sad, but not as sad as Linger, and it was happy, but not as happy as Shiver. I always have this bitter feeling about my favorite series ending though. I'd like to tell more, but I honestly don't know how to go about it without spilling spoilers all over the place. Either way, I thought it was an appropriate ending for the trilogy, and I'm content with it as a whole. While there is one loose end, a somewhat big one, I was not bothered, and I look at it with the utmost security that things turn out well.

Now I just wonder how many times I'll go through the series and bawl my eyes out until I move on a bit. I want to say not many, but who am I to say something like that? I love these books, and I love the tears they bring me to.

2 comments:

Taylor Lynn said...

Ooh, maybe I should read this series! I love books so much. I don't mark books... but it can be sort of fun to take out a library book and see what other people have written. But shh, don't tell anyone I said that. ;)

Maggie Osborn said...

Oh, Taylor, PLEASE try out this series! It's my favorite, and they're all so wonderful. These books (and a few other random ones) are the only books that I've ever wanted to mark up. Mostly it'd just be underlining my favorite lines, but it still bothers me sometimes to write in perfectly perfect books.

But anyways, read them!!!