Recent Posts

Monday, June 29, 2015

Maggie's Monday Music (37)

A meme created by yours truly to share with the world good music, and hopefully make Mondays slightly less dreadful.

Today I'm going to introduce you to Korean pop music, or more commonly known as: kpop.

Here's the thing. You don't know what you've been missing.

Much the way I fell into a One Direction hole Way Back When, about seven or eight months ago I got swooped into a straight up kpop tornado. It started with a friend I'd made online constantly talking about a "GD" on twitter. I found myself asking, who the heck is GD? And why is he supposedly so wonderful? 

Thus began my adventure.

GD stands for G-Dragon. G-Dragon is part of the band BigBang. BigBang is one of the most popular boy groups in Korea and FOR GOOD REASON. They've been releasing their newest album in sections with two new songs coming out at the beginning of every month, and it's awesome.

At the time, GD had just put out a single with another BigBang member, Taeyang. I was instantly hooked.

(Good Boy; GD x Taeyang)

At this point I still didn't know that BigBang was a thing, so I went straight for G-Dragon's music. He was the one with the braids in the video. I fell in love. Once I'd acquainted myself with his entire discography, I realized how dimwitted I was and found the band. This is one of their latest songs released:

(Bang Bang Bang; BigBang)
Two new singles should be releasing within the next couple of days. Yaaaas.

Once the band was found, I realized that my new boyfriend was TOP. Surprise! TOP is the one in the weird space suit section of the video (dat voice doe). After BigBang, I discovered a girl group called 2NE1. They're one of the most popular female groups, also FOR GOOD REASON.

(Come Back Home; 2NE1)

One member of this band is actually starting to get pretty noticed in the US, and I think she's making her debut soon. She goes by CL, and she's my girlfriend. Surprise surprise! That song wasn't one of their more upbeat ones, but I love it a lot and think it kind of shows another side to kpop.

There are too many Korean pop bands/artists that are pretty big right now. Currently I'm obsessed with this song (would it be a surprise to say I have multiple boyfriends in this band?):

(Call Me Baby; Exo)

and this one (just guess what I have to say):

(Catch Me If You Can; Girls Generation)

Like I said, there are an endless amount of artists, but I think these four are a good starting point for beginners. If you notice in the last two videos, there are a ton of people; yes, they are in fact all band members. I KNOW.

Anyways, please, I beg of you, enlighten your soul. 

And for those of you who have literally zero interest in learning about kpop, I'm also really digging Selena Gomez's new song.

(Good For You; Selena Gomez)

Have a great week! 

0 comments: