Recent Posts

Friday, August 7, 2015

a post about knowing nothing


I don't want to sound like a lame-o fakey, but here's the deal: I'm overwhelmed. And listen to this: The last time I was blogging with a decent bit of knowledge was four or five YEARS ago. Truly. TRULY.

That's such a long time! Literally about a quarter of my life! And I don't know how so much time passed. Since then, lots of things have changed.

Well, duh.

But I mean I don't feel like things have changed, and they obviously have.

On twitter a few nights ago I was having a bit of a crisis about where I stand in terms of bookishness and blogging. Basically how I feel like an impostor. You see, for me, it feels like when I took a break from blogging and reading religiously, the rest of the world must have, too. And they didn't.

Again, duh.

So the books that were new when I was still in the game still feel new to me. And I still feel like I'm in the know about new authors and stories, when in reality I can't tell you more than a couple of books that have come out recently, and they're written by authors I already love.

Blogging, too, is the same way. What's popular in blogging is different than it was those few years ago. The people I followed are now talking about different things, or the same things but in hugely different ways. And I'm still writing my posts like a 2010 sixteen-year-old, except even more awkwardly because I'm still trying to get back into the swing of it all.

Suffice to say, I'm clueless. I'm going to try to catch up to present day, y'all, but it's going to take me a while. In the meantime, I'm going to start picking up books and reviewing them. I won't know if they're new, but they'll be new to me, bringing everything back to my reoccurring theme of finding it again.

Is this what it's like to get older? Am I gonna feel this way in ten years when I still feel hip and cool and will so totally not be? Maybe I shouldn't tease my mom so much...

(Kidding! My mom's awesome. And I've never been on top of what's been cool at any given time, so who am I even playing at.)

Do you have any good stories that you think I've missed out on? Trends--books included--happen so fast on the internet there's no way I can try to catch up if not for doing the hard work and finding out what's good for myself. If you've got a suggestion, please, let me know in the comments!

0 comments: